Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Blood Feud

I stare at the smashed remains of a mosquito on the wall next to my bed. I killed it at approximately 2 am last September, and it is now the middle of May. I’ve noticed it on the wall almost every night since I dispatched it. There are three more of his smooshed companions on other walls elsewhere in the room, and I’ve been keeping track of them too. I am moderately disgusted by their rusty smears on my off-white walls, but apparently not enough to prompt me to evict their carcasses from my room, my sleepy, think-tank haven.

I wonder if I like seeing them dead, remembering that I killed them, that I had my revenge upon their curse-of-man species. Maybe my haven requires reminders of my own power to kill, to avenge wrongs and deliver justice to the overt enemies of my body. (My body!) Of all of God’s creations, “bugs” offend me the most—not that I have a logical excuse.

Despite being a fly fisherman, one who aspires to emulate these critters, whenever I’m out on the river and the classic caddis hatch reaches its pinnacle (and trout feeding activity as well), I’m too busy swatting the back of my neck, fanning my hand in front of my face, and jetting air from my lower lip up towards the caddis crawling on my sunglasses to make a descent cast or, heaven forbid, catch a fish. (Have you ever had a 4-inch stonefly crawl up your sleeve? I have… and, yes, it produces girly squeals.)

Once the infamous West Nile Virus made its way to eastern Idaho, my official fishing Valhalla, I had an excuse to be paranoid about the “skeeters,” as the locals call them, and to redouble my efforts to kill any and all skeeters that I felt, heard, or imagined. After one post-dusk evening on the Henry’s Fork, and despite the 90% deet, I counted 44 bites on my hands face and neck. Too add to the misery, the deet started to give me a rash (perhaps what scares skeeters away might also intimidate living skin cells?). I was dating a nurse at the time, and she was overseeing the slow death of a West Nile victim in the ICU—tough farmer in his 50s, wife and kids. A couple days later, my tonsils started to swell up like they were fighting something threatening, but instead of rushing to the hospital, I prayed to God and reaffirmed our “understanding”, which certainly didn’t involve getting off easy with an early death. After that, I wasn’t worried.

Back to the hatred of skeeters, sometimes I started to swear at the trout for not eating more of the little bastards. Then I wondered if maybe it’s the smell of human blood in their bellies that keeps the trout away, and that even the larvae were spawn by our globules and DNA. Maybe my hate is in the blood too, and the trout don’t want to be sucked into the feud.

Sometimes I wonder where all of the mosquitoes’ predators have, apparently, gone. Apparently, they kill birds with West Nile: one down, several to go. Bats? Well, they sure weren’t around in the mid-afternoon near Bear Gulch when, despite the 90 degrees and standing in the middle of the river, I was so barraged by the bloodlusting foe that I abandoned a Salmon Fly hatch and gorging Cuts.

Is it because I don’t belong where they are? Is it because they don’t belong where I am? Apparently, mosquitoes are part of some grand and essential ecosystem. And apparently the tiny black gnat hovering in front of my face feels the need float in front of my right eye and make me feel self-conscious about whether or not I’m developing early-onset cataracts as well. There, that’s it: Maybe the bugs are supposed to make us self-conscious, or “them”-conscious, reminding us that we need to share our blood and salty tears with our hungry eco-chain gang. Maybe they just want to be noticed, thanked for their efforts, and grow a little frustrated when we ignore their billions of 24-hour life spans, and numb their stress, just like humans do, by overeating and copulating.

Well, I’ve just performed my first stage of gratitude-motivated penance by cleaning their guts off of my walls and will cease to flaunt their desiccated bodies as trophies of my manliness. Somehow I don’t feel like I’m ever going to stop mashing them when I see them, but it’s a give and take relationship, right?

7 comments:

Aleena said...

Sam, this is one of my favorite blogs from you! You are so funny! I too share an intense dislike of mosquitoes and I really enjoyed reading your well-written piece about all the ways in which they are annoying. By the way, I'm glad you washed the dead mosquitoes off your wall.

Anonymous said...

You're hilarious Sam! Oh, how I wish I could express myself the way you do... or maybe I'll just let you do the writing and say "amen". We think enough alike, I could point someone to your writings/views and feel confident they'd know how I feel about the subject. So, THANKS for expressing how I feel about these darn bugs.
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam,
Ted said you should really send this to a fishing magazine. I couldn't agree more!
I just read it to him and we're still laughing... mostly because I relate and Ted has watched you in the middle of a hatch.
I think I'll be coming back to read it weekly.
Thanks!

Alexis said...

Your post has reminded me of what can happen when you take time to think, sit down & ponder. I readily admit I am caught up in the chaos of my kids that I rarely take time to think, sit down & ponder. I miss thinking! Thank you, Sam, for reminding me of the joys that can come from pondering even the most annoying of topics - misquitos!

Alexis said...

Oh, ya, and definitely send this to a fishing magazine!!!!

Team Shelton said...

Kind of creepy...your harboring a lot of anger! Plus, you live in Logan, Utah, there are no mosquitoes there! Come to Houston, well show you mosquitoes, boy will we.

bluefish said...

Your hate is strong. Your journey to the Dark Side of the Force will soon be complete. Then you will take your place at my side and call me... Master.